he Communication and Interaction at St Thomas a Becket is a provision provided by the local authority and part of SENSS, CIAT team.
The resource caters for students with ASD with the most complex needs, from across the district. Accordingly, all students have an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP).
What we do
All students follow a broad and balanced curriculum that reflects their needs.
- The amount of time spent in mainstream school will vary according to individual need.
- All students will spend a significant proportion of their timetable in mainstream lesson supported by the Resource specialist staff.
- Students may access additional English and Maths in the Resource to establish gaps in knowledge and enhance learning.
Social skills development is timetabled as part of the curriculum. This includes:
- Life skills and social skills groups that address current, relevant issues both in and out of the school environment
- Informal social skills teaching, structured to run throughout the students daily routine
- Lessons following relevant ASD specific schemes tailored to individual need
- Supported access to local community activities/facilities
- Lego therapy
- Reverse Inclusion
Other personalised learning may include:
- Anger Management/ stress management / coping skills
- Sex and relationship education
- Risk and resilience training
- Emotional literacy
- Specialist careers advice and access to specialist Connexions personal advisor
- Independent travel training
- Access to other therapies via external professionals
- Talk and draw
- Work experience
- Pre and post teaching of curriculum subjects